AN AD IN MOTOR MAGAZINE
In the spring of 1955 TVR Engineering received inquires from all over the world about their ad in MOTOR magazine. Russell Hilton of Vancouver, British Columbia asked for particulars on their chassis and bodies. Francisco Cuevas, of Mexico asked about TVR products for importation into Mexico. TVRs’ ad described a multitubular chassis being designed and built in England. It weighed 112 lbs. and was capable of taking components manufactured by the British Motor Corporation. The chassis was suitable for almost any power unit up to 2.5 liters.
Ray Saidel had also taken interest in the ad in Motor magazine, and by August of 1955 he had sent a letter to TVR requesting a brochure and further information. In his September 2nd response to Saidels inquiry, Bernard Williams sent the brochure and also mentioned a new design of which a prototype had been sold already. Either chassis was available for L50, frame only.
This new design was for sports/racing, weighed a mere 64 lbs., and could handle a power unit of up to 2 liters. The new was fitted with a 1.5 liter M.G. engine and a fiberglass shell weighing just under 10 cwt. ( lbs.). Unfortunately, the communications with TVR started slowly., Saidel had acquired another Dellow Mark V sports chassis from Dellow Motors limited:
In 1955, his first season racing, Ray garnered the SCCA C Modified Championship. Paul Timmins Memorial Award for Sportsmanship. Of all his trophies Raymond appreciated this award the most. During this season, Ray was introduced to the miriad of small sports cars and their enthusiasts. Over the next 5 years, he would acquire 16 foreign car franchises, design and build and race his own series of race and road cars and grow the Merrimack Street Garage by leaps and bounds. Austin, Austin Healy, Alfa Romeo, Borgward, Citroen, DKW, Dyna-Panhard, Fiat, Hillman, Humbar, Isetta, Jaguar, Lotus, MG, Morris, Saab, Sunbeam and Oldsmobile were all sold and serviced by Merrimack Street garage.